Friday, September 11, 2009

Great Day!

Today was a fantastic day at school! I was only there for about 3 hours but I got to do a lot!

I tested a few kids on their sight words, helped Miss J fill out a behavior profile for a student, and then she asked me to take them from Music to the Library all by myself (not a hard thing, but not especially easy for a beginning teacher when you have 20 1st-graders!)

The kids did great, and then from there I had to bring them back to the classroom, got them settled down to read their books, read 2 books to them, got them ready for lunch, monitored their eating (again, not easy with 1st graders...it's like pulling teeth getting them to eat!!) and they did a WAY better job eating than they usually do! Then I had to get them all cleaned up and ready for recess, and they were ready so fast, I had to come up with a game to entertain them while we waited for the recess bell, which they had fun with.

Throughout all of this, Miss J just sat back at her desk working on her stuff and let me do everything! It was a blast! Of course there were a few kids who just didn't want to listen to me...seeing as I'm only there 2-3 days a week now, they kind of forget that I'm still one of their teachers and that they, ya know, still have to listen to me and do what I say :p But they did pretty good. And Miss J decided that I did such a good job, we're gonna keep up that routine every Friday now! Should be fun! :)

And I found out that I might be able to sub for her already on the 21st! Woo hoo! She'll be gone the 16th and she already has another sub lined up for that day, but asked me to be there that whole day to help her out cause I know what our routine is and will have a better idea of what needs to be done!

1 comment:

Mark and Wendy said...

Sound super-and wonderful to set it up for a weekly deal so you know when to expect to have them for most of the day!
And I'm sure the eating lunch deal is complicated by the whole allergy thing...had to take anyone's food away lately? :)